Friday, June 26, 2009

Looking Out The Window

A friend of mine told me the other day that no one likes pictures of overpasses. they're not like pictures of train tracks or bridges. but the point for me is that i like overpasses. Since i started shooting while driving i have become more aware of the life that is framed through the glass that keeps us safely inside while looking out. Shooting from my car has made me come to appreciate so much that used to seem mundane. whether it's the smooth, sweet curve of the overpass or the bright red of the traffic lights against the fog-filled sky. even the tar of the roads seems so much more. and after months and months of shooting from my car, i've come to realize that i can feel the same way shooting through other windows.



Flying takes on a whole new meaning when i have my camera pointing out the window--shooting. sure, watching the wings vibrate when we hit some turbulence or realizing that i'm facing straight down as the plane turns to approach the runway doesn't help my flying apprehension at all, but have you ever noticed how beautiful the clouds are or how bright the orange is on the southwest planes?
i got lost on BART the other day. i jumped on the wrong train and had my iPod blasting and was emailing on my blackberry and didn't notice where i was until about an hour into my trip i looked up and realized i was not on the right line. so i got on the right train and looked out the window so i wouldn't miss my transfer spot. and looking through the window i wished i had my camera. what great views--the backside of the coliseum, the chain-link fences, the old buildings and the overpasses--they were beautiful and so close. it just made me want to get back on BART with my camera and get lost, but this time to be able to see everything through the lens of my camera.




No comments: