Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Art vs Luck

For those of you wondering--yes, I entered the "Urban Landscape" juried competition and I was not selected. Of the 30 images chosen, none of the images included any of my drive-by shooting photos. You might think with my concentrated effort of recording my hours upon hours of driving in urban areas that maybe they would select one image. But not this time.

Vincent told me to not give up. Tara told me that we just need to find something else. But once again this makes me think about the whole art versus luck thing that I am constantly battling. Is sticking my arm out the window and shooting blindly art? See, I still think it's luck when something turns out.


So I'm not thinking I'll win any competitions or be published in any magazines or get Southwest Airlines to comp my flights. But I'll continue to shoot because I love it, because traffic on the LA streets and freeways is nuts, and because every so often I discover an image that I love.

No comments: